A Father's First Thoughts of a Daughter


Norah has been with us just over one week.  It truly feels like a "perfect family", like people were saying when we announced we were having a girl.  One boy, one girl.  What a great addition.  Of course nothing really noteworthy has happened this week.  It's not like she's doing new and crazy things each day like Sorin.  But that doesn't mean I'm short on material.  Sorin has prepared me for what's to come with Norah.  I've always thought about raising a son.  But I humbly admit I've never thought of the details of raising a daughter.

The title of my personal blog is "Hans' Game Plan."  I talk about how a great coach has a game plan to effectively navigate himself throughout a game, profession, life, whatever.  All I know about raising a girl right now is how to change her diaper.

Next.

I have no clue what's next.  All I know is that a strong girl becomes a strong woman more readily if she has a strong dad growing and developing her.  What will that look like for me?  How will I relate to my little girl and give her guidance?

It's not like I need the answers this week.  But it's been an interesting week of pondering the future.  I don't think I did that as much (especially in the first week) with Sorin.  Because like I said I've been planning his fathering for years.  But Norah, now there's a project.

But what an honor and challenge to raise a girl, raise a woman.  The possibilities are so bright.  Don't hear this as idealistic - I certainly understand the difficulties in our future as parents.  But I also believe God has made me aware and allowed me to study relationships, especially mentoring, coaching, and even parenting that will be invaluable down the road.

The goal is a strong daughter.  The catalyst will be a strong father.

Off to work.

0 comments:

Post a Comment