Last Call: Family of Three


It is my understanding (Hans) that this will be the last post from our family of three. Although I have not written as much or as well as I would have liked, make no mistake: our family of three has been the greatest adventure of my life.

Can I rank family? Can I distinguish between the joys of getting married, honeymooning in Hawaii, witnessing my son's entrance into the world, and chasing him around the yard this afternoon? Impossible.

But this latest season of my life, parenting Sorin from infant to toddler has been remarkable, challenging, enlightening, and inspiring. Many days I can't wait to return home to see Sorin greeting me at the front window before he runs around the corner to the front door as I walk in. I can't shower quick enough so that I can hold him and I find myself often kissing and hugging him at an alarming rate. I love my family so much.

For full disclosure I'll admit the following: I didn't know how well Katie would do at being a mom. I knew she'd love me, love her kids, and do well. But I had no idea that I would witness her true calling - true calling - as a mother. She's the MVP of the family, the Most Valuable Parent. It's not even close.

I'm writing in an awkward state of conflict. I don't want to give up this life. I don't want family to be anything other than Katie and me with Sorin. This family has been through so much and has so much in its immediate future. It's the most meaningful component in my life. It's my family and I'm so proud to be an author of its story. Humans are naturally resistant to change; I don't do well with change. But change is right around the corner. Therein lies my conflict.

I don't want change but when I know that "change" is another addition to our family, a daughter, a sister - well that sounds like a win! So don't read into my conflict too much. I want to be fully happy and content with the three of us but I want to welcome the fourth. Like I said, can you rank family? Of course not. Bring on the change. I'll have a son and a daughter - I'll have my cake and eat it too.

A daughter. And I thought Sorin was going to be an adventure...

So I'm signing off for the family of three. Last Call: Family of Three.

0 comments:

Post a Comment