Snowshoeing on the Lake
















Outdoor sports are so underrated. Winter outdoor sports even more so. Two years ago Katie and I bought cross-country skis and got ourselves very familiar with the trails at the UW Arboretum. This year I finally got myself a pair of snowshoes. Katie is able to borrow my mom's. And last weekend we got to use them for the first time with Sorin.

One of the most common reactions when I bring up snowshoeing is, "What's the point? Aren't you just walking on snow?" I have to admit that I've had the same questions before I actually got out and
shoed. (I think that's the pro way of saying it.) And the answer is obvious - yes, you're walking on snow.

But until you actually try it you should reserve your reservations about snowshoeing, I mean shoeing. I've shoed in the Northwoods and blazed a trail through 18 inches of powder. Even a casual walk through a park or a golf course is much more enjoyable as you float across the top of the snow. The shoes give you float but they also give you grip, so you're working more efficiently. As I said, last weekend our course was the shoreline of Lake Waubesa.

It was a pretty cold weekend so unfortunately we couldn't stay out too long for Sorin's sake. I really love the Deuter backpack we have for carrying him, but he just sits there so he obviously gets pretty cold. We hiked through the backyard and across a couple neighbors' lawns to get to a more gradual
downhill to the lake. Climbing over a few boulders we were onto the frozen lake in a couple minutes. As we walked the shoreline the trees were gorgeous. As you can see from the pics, the snow had just fallen and each branch had a light layer of snow that stuck, outlining the branching structure of each tree (tree geek, I know).

We only walked about 20 minutes before we had to turn around. Unfortunately the weather has been very cold this winter so we haven't been out since. My goal is to get to a couple state parks and even back to the Arboretum. Would you consider snowshoes? It's decent exercise and it gets you active. (And I saw a kids pair at REI - Sorin will have his own pretty soon!)








3 comments:

Shanna Curtis said...

Did you see that ADORABLE little face on your little guy???!!! What an absolute cutie! And the pictures are beautiful! I'm loving the Texas weather, especially this time of year, but you don't get pictures like that down here.
You are certainly blessed!

In Him,
Shanna

Hans Schiefelbein said...

Thanks Shanna. I've been checking out your new business. Very cool. Are you guys permanently in Texas now?

Kelle said...

Thank you for that beautiful comment.
And I see you're expecting a baby girl...get ready to have your heart stolen. Girls steal daddies' hearts.

Post a Comment